We are delighted to announce that the 2023 Conference will be hosted by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN)
Sustaining Futures: Remaking Criminology in an age of Global Injustice.
27 – 30 June, 2023.
Visit the conference website: uclan.ac.uk/events/conferences/bsc
A message from the Conference team:
We are delighted to be hosting the BSC Conference 2023 at the University of Central Lancashire, 27th-30th June 2023.
There is a large team of us on the conference organising committee at UCLan and we are very excited to be welcoming you to Preston!
We will be providing you with updates over the coming months leading up to the conference, but below are a few highlights we are excited to share at this stage:
- We wanted to provide a keynote with a difference this year! So we are delighted to be welcoming local theatre company, Certain Curtain, who will be delivering a keynote theatre performance before the drinks reception on the Wednesday evening of the conference. This is set to be a powerful performance and you can find out more about the company here cctheatre.co.uk
- We have also organised two themed conference panels, with one exploring ‘Reflections on the Sustainability of Criminology’. This panel will involve speakers offering critical reflections on the sustainability of criminology, considering possible future directions and priorities, including decolonising Criminology and Zemiology.
- As is often the case with event organisation, a big topic of conversation for the organising committee has been the food! We have kept sustainability in mind when deciding on our food choices for you all and we hope that attendees enjoy the selection. Refreshments and lunch will be provided on each day of the conference, paid for as part of the registration fee.
- Registration is now open here and you can also submit abstracts here. Find out more on the confernce website: uclan.ac.uk/events/conferences/bsc
- The conference dinner will be taking place at Imperial Banqueting, Preston, which promises to be a beautiful location for the formal dinner.
- Follow us on Twitter if you are not already: @uclanjustice @uclancjp
We can’t wait to welcome you all to UCLan in June 2023
2022 – Reimagining Criminological Futures: New Criminologies in a Changing World.
The 2022 Conference was hosted by the University of Surrey
The Centre for Criminology is world renowned for criminological expertise and robust, policy relevant research on crime and crime control.
The BSC and the Open University collaborated to bring you our first fully online conference – more information about the conference, the programme, network activities, plenary speakers, prizes, together with a special edition of Criminology and Criminal Justice and a range of social events is now available:
2020 – Criminology in an Age of Global Injustice(s)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we were forced to cancel our 2020 conference which would have been hosted by The University of Liverpool. This decision meant delegates missed the chance to network with their peers and present their research. In recognition of these lost opportunities we wanted to offer some alternative ways of engaging.
2019 – BSC Annual Conference – Lincoln – Public Criminologies: Communities, Conflict and Justice
2018 – BSC Annual Conference – Birmingham – Transforming Criminology: Rethinking Crime in a Changing World
2017 – BSC Annual Conference -Sheffield – Forging Social Justice: Local Challenges, Global Complexities
2014 – BSC Annual Conference – Liverpool – Crime, Justice, Welfare: Can the Metropole listen?
2011 – BSC Annual Conference – Northumbria – Economies and Insecurities of Crime and Justice
2010 – BSC Annual Conference – Leicester – Human Rights, Human Wrongs: Dilemmas and Diversity in Criminology
2009 – BSC Annual Conference, Cardiff – A Mirror or a Motor? What is Criminology For?
2008 – BSC Annual Conference, Huddersfield – Criminological Futures: Controversies, Developments and Debate
2007 – BSC Annual Conference, London
2006 – BSC Annual Conference, Glasgow
2005 – BSC Annual Conference, Leeds – Re-Awakening the Criminological Imagination
2004 – BSC Annual Conference, Portsmouth
2003 – BSC Annual Conference, Bangor
2002 – BSC Annual Conference, Keele
The BSC conference, previously bi-annual, began to take place annually from 2002
2000 – BSC Annual Conference, Leicester
1999 – BSC Annual Conference, Liverpool
1997 – BSC Conference, Belfast
1995 – BSC Conference, Loughborough
1993 – BSC Conference, Cardiff
1991 – BSC Conference, York
1989 – BSC Conference, Bristol
1987 – BSC Conference, Sheffield
Turning Presentations into Publications
Vicky Heap (Chair), Zöe James, Louise Westmarland, Nic Groombridge, Carina O’Reilly, Kate Strudwick, Charlotte Harris and Helen Jones.